Tech Tip: Blog Profile

I decided to show my profile on my blog -- that includes my name and a picture of me.

Online identity is certainly something you need to be cognizant of as our society -- and our workplaces -- become increasingly digital. Private and professional lives used to be somewhat separate; now however, with the advent of programs like LinkedIn and Facebook being used for occupational connections, we're bridging the gap between private and professional.

Anything you post to the internet pretty much remains there forever. Likewise, anything that's on your social media profiles can have a lasting impact on employment prospects. Because of that, I try to stay pretty anonymous online if I'm working with something that's going to stay 100% work or school related. For this blog (which will remain professional and demonstrates comfort with digital media platforms) I'll leave my name and picture up -- if future employers find this, I'm comfortable with them knowing that my name is attached to this. However, my location, age, gender, etc. is hidden. My friends and family already know that info; if someone doesn't know it yet, they probably don't have much of a reason to. Therefore, I opted to leave that off of my Blogger profile.

I think that the key ingredient for an online identity is a consistently professional, competent body of work. If employers do any digging through social media profiles and only find impressive work, they'll be pleased to consider you for an opening. However, if you've got a couple of compromising tweets or photos out there, it can make a company think twice about offering you a position.

Comments

Popular Posts